Pages



Monday, June 4, 2018

"...but what if I don't like the plan?"

Most of you know that the man I married last year is a widower.

I haven't gotten into the details of how and where and when with all of you lovely humans for a few different reasons. It isn't my story to tell, number one. Number two, I have a limit to HOW open I get with my life (haha shocking, right?? I have boundaries?! who knew?!).

Anyways.

I've done my best to provide a safe emotional space for the kids concerning that loss. I know what it feels like to lose your Mom...and it sucks. If they want to talk about it? Let's. If they don't want to? Let's not. Want to cry? Ok. Want to share funny memories? Cool. Whatever comes out that day, let's just roll with it and let it be.

Losing my Mom sucked as an adult - an adult who could understand the details of how bodies and cancer work, an adult who could process grief and loss and emotionally brace myself for the high probability of losing her.

Experiencing that kind of loss as a kid??? The shock? The inability to understand the logistics of how this thing even happened? I can't even imagine.

Last week one of my bonus babes sat me down in tears. Big, heartbroken tears. She asked me why. Why did Mommy have to die? I sat there on the bed and felt distinctly like I was floating outside of my body for a moment. Am I really sitting here having this conversation with this child? What do I even say? How do I explain this when I haven't made total peace with my own loss? 

I said a silent prayer that the words God wanted me to speak would come out...and that if they didn't/couldn't, that He would communicate in unspoken peace to her heart.

We talked for a long, long time.

I shared some of my feelings about my own Mom. She shared some of hers. We talked about grief being a cycle...sometimes it feels ok, and sometimes it feels VERY NOT ok. We talked about crying and how that's healthy, and we talked about distracting ourselves from the grief and how that can be ok, too.

At the end of it all, though, she still had the question...why?

I looked her square in the eyes and knew I couldn't lie to this kid.

"I don't know why...

...only God does."

Her emotional response told me that this was not the answer she was looking for.

Bear your testimony, came the thought into my head.

About what?? I don't know enough to say anything?? I responded to the voice in my own head.

Bear your testimony, the thought came again.

I took a deep breath, opened my mouth and these words came tumbling out:

"You know what I do know? I know that God loves us more than anything...and that means that when sad or scary things happen to us - there's a reason. There's a plan."

She thought about that for a moment. "But," she said through her tears,"...what if I don't like the plan?"

I have to admit that I laughed when she said that.

"I get it," I said. "I haven't always liked the plan, either."

We talked for a few more minutes before she suddenly transitioned into chatting about school and summer and things she wants to do when the weather is sunny everyday. She bounced out of the room and it was like nothing ever happened.

*******

Fast forward to today.

I was sitting on a chair outside watching the kids on the trampoline.

The two year old came and sat on my lap.

"Mama! MAMA!" she yelled over and over again.

I was trying to listen to another kid who was telling me a story from the trampoline.

"Hang on, baby." I told her.

"CALEEEEEEE!" she squealed as she grabbed my cheeks and forced my face to look at her's.

I laughed and pulled her hands away. One of the twin boys came and sat next to me.

"She doesn't call you 'Mama' because of our other Mom. She remembers her. We show her pictures at Grandma's house and tell her that's her real Mom," he offered matter-of-factly.

My heart jumped clear up into my throat and I choked a little bit on the emotion. It felt like someone had sucker-punched me right in the stomach.

"Oh? Ok." I managed to say.

I took a deep breath and acknowledged that I had heard the rest of the story from the kid on the trampoline. I then turned my attention to the toddler who was halfway through telling me a story at a mile a minute.

I suddenly felt so tired. I tried my best to answer each child as they called out for me to watch them, or listen to their stories, or answer their questions...but I suddenly felt like a balloon that someone let all the air out of.

I thought about the late nights and early mornings transitioning that baby from crib to big girl bed. I thought of the messy snack times, the baths, the tantrums and endless kissing of ouchies. I thought about the hours Jon and I have spent talking and strategizing about each child and what they need and how to parent them the best way possible. I thought about teaching that littlest one how to talk, reading to her, singing her lullabies at night. I thought about the hard mornings with a grumpy two year old, the time outs (for me AND her haha), the negotiating shoes and clothes and yogurt flavors and nap times. I thought about all of the years of life ahead of me as a mother to not just her, but to all of those kids who were jumping happily on the trampoline. The endless school projects, worrying about whether our diets are healthy enough, praying for them at night and while they're away from me...the hours of conversation yet to be had about everything from grief to dating to the gospel to which college to choose.

I'm just the babysitter, I thought. I'll always just be their babysitter.

It isn't fair.

I chose them...and they might never choose me.

That thought brought hot, stinging tears to my eyes and I had to shift my mind away from it as quickly as possible so I didn't turn in to a huge mess right there in the back yard on the morning of the first official day of summer. Oh how that thought felt like a knife in my chest.

Then my mind shifted. I thought about the woman who carried these babies inside of her body the way I'm carrying this baby now. The way she must have worried about and loved and cared for these kids. The way she must have daydreamed about their lives and choices and who they'd grow up to be. I thought about the weight of that kind of love.

I thought about how unfair life must have felt for her as she contemplated her final few days and all of the life she was leaving behind.

"...but what if I don't like the plan..?" is the thought that came to my mind last. I could see that child's face in my mind - her big eyes full of tears.

"What if I don't like this plan..?" I thought.

I thought of what the Spirit had prompted me to share that day: "God loves us more than anything. There's a reason. There's a plan."

God loves us more than anything.

******

I'm sitting in my living room now. I'm surrounded by toys and clothes and groceries needing to be put away and hungry kids in the yard who are threatening to ransack the kitchen at any moment. The feeling of being so tired hasn't left yet. My heart feels weird and sad and I haven't decided yet whether I'm horrible and selfish or just human and figuring it all out. Maybe a combination? Haha. For the record, I don't really think I'm horrible. This is just really, REALLY hard sometimes and I don't know what on earth I'm doing most of the time except trying to love this family and be what they need and that, my friends, is a really tall order on some days.

I guess the point of this blog is to share some of the mess of my life...some of the unanswered questions - in case your life is a little messy, too, and it hurts and you feel alone. Sometimes it's nice to know that there are questions that other people have that they don't have all of the answers to. Sometimes it's nice to know that there are challenges and difficulties that follow other people around, too...that it isn't JUST you who can't figure everything out right this very second. That it's ok to only know that God loves us...and to not like the plan when it hurts.

******

For what it's worth, I do believe that God loves us more than anything - and even when that doesn't fix all of my problems or take all of the pain away, it does give me hope that someday He will make it all ok; that someday things will make sense.

If you're struggling with intense things, maybe start there...start with a testimony of God's love for you and see if it doesn't make all the difference.

xo.




22 comments :

Anonymous said...

Calee, ultimately those children will feel blessed to have had two wonderful mothers in their lives - their birth mother and you! You are a blessing to them and they will never forget your love and care. You are not just a babysitter! You play a role no one else can play right now and Heavenly Father will bless your through it. The answers you seek for your children will be answers you need for yourself, too.

Nikki Nichols said...

Beautiful!!!!! What a blessing you are to them and so many others!! My challenges look nothing like yourS and seem so small but knowing God loves me has been sometimes the ONLY thing that gets me through it with a small ounce of sanity!!! Press onward Calee!! You are doing great things!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful thoughts and tender feelings! 5 years ago I married my husband,he was also a widower with two very young daughters 3.5 and 6 months. I had two boys from a previous marriage ages 4 and 2. The days were long and some times I didn’t feel like I was good enough for the job. Somehow over these years I have been reminded that our family was brought together by our Heavenly Father and that he made up the difference. Also, I always find encouragement that my daughters Mother is not far from us prompting me on how to best handle her sweet babies. We still have our moments and our days but his healing balm has touched our families hearts and our girls know that they are blessed by two mommies, a Mamma in Heaven and one who has been blessed with stewardship in this life. It’s a hard, unexplainable, amazing journey. Thanks for your encouraging words from one Mama to the next. ❤️

Anonymous said...

You. Are. Amazing! You are exactly what those children need! I can't fathom jumping from 1 child to 5 in one giant leap. Their mother is watching over you all and probably thanks Heavenly Father for giving her babies YOU!

Jerri said...

I’ve never had to blend a family but I remember being so overwhelmed when my kids were little that I felt it would never end and always be hard. Fast forward (and it really is fast forward!) to my eldest leaving on her mission and me thinking “That’s it? That’s all the time I get with her??!” I felt really ripped off out of a good deal! I still have others at home thank goodness but I now know it will go by fast and I am trying to hold on and enjoy it! I look back on the time with my oldest and wish I could’ve lived in the moment more but I don’t know really how to do that! I love your post by the way. It sounds like you’re doing an amazing job.

Anonymous said...

Do you think it’s bad that they see pictures of their mom? Because they should see pictures of Jenelle. I’m pretty sure if you die young your family would do their best to try to help your girls remember you. Don’t you know her family reads these things? Do you care at all about them or is this just all about you?

Also, Jenelle didn’t think she was dying. She didn’t lay in the hospital contemplating her final days. She thought she would be going home. Maybe just get your facts straight before you post.

Anonymous said...

Ok that came across rude. I’m sorry. What I meant to say was I’m sure her mom met no harm to you by showing her children her picture.

I have never been in a blended family so I can’t say I know how your feeling, so I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions.

I didn’t personally know the kids mom, just through a friend of a friend, so my facts probably aren’t right either. I just think if I had time to think about my final days I’d write my kids letters and make videos and do all I could with them, and from what I understand she didn’t have time to do that cause she thought she was going home. So I’d just hate for her kids to wonder why they don’t have stuff from her. That’s all. Once again, sorry for the rude comment.

Laurel said...

Calee, thank you for sharing your very real feelings from your unpredictable, sometimes painful, sometimes delightful and joyous journey. You beautifully conveyed the complex feelings of giving all to children who also love another mother while still in your own grief because your mother isn't here. Thank you for being willing to share with the rest of us whose journey is messy and who are so human in our response to the messiness and pain. Thank you for sharing your faith that God has a plan and it is perfect. He loves and understands us. He responds with kindness and compassion to us. That is what I keep coming back to when I am living the hard stuff. That faith grounds me, helps me to feel charity for others in their imperfection and struggle, deepens my connection to our Savior who is my rock and Redeemer. May you continue to feel His love and help each day.

Red Writing Hood said...

I'm always so inspired by the things you write Calee. Thank you for sharing a bit of your heart. It doesn't matter whether we choose our situation or not, it doesn't take away the fact that sometimes it's hard and we just want/need understanding and love from others to remember that we aren't alone in trials. You are amazing and so very blessed and I'm sure you feel that in so many ways. It's ok to acknowledge that some days are just the pits. I wish I had the courage to admit that more often when my kids were little.I probably wouldn't have taken as much of my frustration out on my sweet littles. Sending love and understanding from one mom to another ❤ (Sometimes I like to pretend [when I'm listening to one of your songs] that we're good friends who sit around and laugh about music, singing, life, whatever... so keep doing what you're doing. I have nothing but great respect for who you are, and what you seem to be working towards. Just being a good human ❤) Jenn

Anonymous said...

Jenelle was an absolute amazing mother who’s legacy needs to be remembered! I hope there are pictures of her for the kids to look at in your home also! It’s not a competition between you and her. They are ultimately her children and I hope you aren’t trying to make the children forget their mother and replace her! Her legacy needs to live in. I’m sure Ellie misses her mother so much as all of the children do and all of those that loved her!

Anonymous said...

I’m curious to this as well? Do you think it’s bad they see pictures of their mother? This post is very selfish and makes you seem very jealous of a women who has passed away who ultimately is their mother. If you died unexpectedly how would you want violets new mother to treat her and speak about you? From every post you have ever posted it seems that you are trying to push Jenelle out of their lives and give her zero credit for the amazing mother that she is! The veil is very thin and she is near!

Unknown said...

I don’t think Calee views it as a competition. She was feeling inadequate. How would one not feel that way in this situation? To me she is honoring Jenelle by giving her children so much love. To me the fact that Calee understands what it’s like to lose a mom makes her the perfect person to step in and help John raise these kids. Having just lost one of my best friends I know she solicitous on my behalf (often times when I don’t want her to be) and I don’t doubt Jenelle found the perfect person for her babies. Grief sucks (as the mom of an angel I know it well) but don’t put Calee down just because you are struggling in your grief. That hurts.

Kristen said...

Your posts are such a breath of fresh air. I can’t tell you how much I love how real you are. My stories are similar and different, but I can relate in so many ways. I’m divorced and have remarried the most amazing person. I live the happiest life, with lots of hard days. Most days I wonder how I got to be so lucky, and other days I wonder how my kids got to be so unlucky with such a grumpy mom. :) I struggle some with fertility but I have two biological children and one adopted daughter and I feel inadequate every day. We talk about her “belly mom” often and I try to say and do the right things but it’s so hard. I admire how much you care about your family and want to help them and how you take the time to talk to them. I know how it feels to try to be the best mom you can be while also trying to help them remember their biological mom in the best way possible. I’ve admired your attitude since hearing from you at Time out for Women years ago and I love your example and the way you keep things real. Being a mom is both the best and hardest thing I do every day and it’s people like you that keep me going because I know I’m not alone. Thanks for sharing your story, I know that can’t be easy to do but know how much I appreciate it and need it! ❤️

Anonymous said...

This blog post is extremely disturbing. You've somehow managed to take a young mother's tragic death, the innocence and suffering of the children that are forced to be without her, and truths about God's love--and twist them into a story about how you feel bad for yourself.

Many of us have heard the story of the kindhearted woman who died so suddenly. All accounts indicate that she didn't sit in bed contemplating her own death--it was unexpected and heartbreaking. No one thought she was going to die. Also, the stories that have circulated about her at the hospital indicate that she wasn't lamenting about how life was unfair--she was focusing on trying to help others. She laid in her hospital bed trying to buy shoes for a nurse who needed a new pair. Why are you downplaying her kindness by making out that she was focusing on herself and how her life was unfair rather than thinking about others--especially her children? And why are you manipulating her story for the emotional effect of your blog?

More important, why on earth do those adorable children have to go to their grandparents' house to see photos of their mother?!?! YOU should be surrounding them with her love. She should be part of their daily lives! They should each have a photo of her next to their bed so they can kiss her goodnight and remember how much they love her and how much she loved them. How on earth would you feel if you passed away and someone tried to erase you from your biological daughter's life? And what is your new husband, the widower, doing about this? Is he just allowing you erase her memory or are you forcing him to go elsewhere to grieve for her, as well? Can he not see pictures unless he is at someone else's house?

You cried because you thought, "I chose them and they might never choose me?" What a horrible, sickening, twisted perspective. Why are you trying to make them choose between you and their mom? You should be working TOGETHER to raise those kids. It's not a competition. And if you are really trying "...to provide a safe emotional space for the kids concerning that loss," you'll stop trying to make it one. Their mother died and, barely a year later, you are sitting here lamenting that they may never replace her with you? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Maybe you should focus a little more on those children and a little less on pitying yourself. This is disgusting. And I'm sure the "my life is so hard and people are so rude and I'm so misunderstood" social media post that follows you reading this comment will be equally as selfish and despicable.

Unknown said...

I imagine Joseph felt the same fathering Jesus. I have many bonus moms and I think I knew they were going to be part of my family when we were up in the preexistance. You are their real mom too, as you shared in a post we don't have to birth a child to be their mom. They choose you every day with their love! I'm sorry for the comments that people leave that are negative. I'd be just as happy to see your blog with comments disabled, this is your safe place to share.

Unknown said...

Hello everyone.. My name is "Linda Oscar Lestochi" I was married for 8years with William. things started getting ugly and we had fights and arguments almost every time. it got worse at a point that he filed for divorce. I tried my best to make him change his mind & stay with me. But he moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for the divorce. I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when a friend introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster who eventually helped me out. I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try reluctantly cause I was desperate and left with no choice. He did special prayers and used roots and herbs. Within 4 days he called me and was sorry for all the emotional trauma he had cost me, he moved back to the house and we continue to live happily. what a wonderful miracle dr. Umagbai did for me and my family. I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news. I strongly believe someone out there need's his help.(dr.umagbaisolutionhome@gmail.com) so make extra effort to save your marriage/relationship,you can also contact him if you have any problems..
1) want your ex back.
2) You always have nightmares.
3) To be promoted in your office
4) Do you want a child.
5) You want to be rich.
6) you want to keep your husband / wife for you alone forever.
7) Do you want to be in control of that marriage
8) Do you want to be attracted to people
9) The lack of children
10) needs a husband / wife
11) HOW TO GET YOUR LOTTERY
12) PROMOTIONAL SPELL
13) SPELL PROTECTION
14) BUSINESS SPELL
15) GOOD JOB HECHIZO
16) cure for any disease.

Gebriela said...


I feel so blessed again in my marriage after Doctor OGODO brought back my husband that separated with me for good 6 months. Am GABRIELA by name. Even if have mouths all over my body, it won't be enough to thank Doctor OGODO for his help upon my life. My husband separated with me for the 6 months and have been in pains and agony without him. So, i searched for help everywhere but nothing worked out not until i met Doctor OGODO who i contacted online. I explained my situation to him and he promised that my husband will get back to me within 24 to 48 hours as far that my heart still beats for him. I believed in him and he prepared a spell for me and my husband called me exactly when Doctor OGODO said. He pleaded and said he needs me back and now we are living happily again for the past 9 months. Everyone out there reading my article that needs help should contact him... Email. Doctor OGODO via ogodomikespells@gmail.com for more information
If you are out there passing through any of this
problems listed below he is also perfect
(1) Do you want your ex back?
(2) Do you always have bad dreams?
(3) You want to be promoted in your office?
(4) You want women/men to run after you?
(5) Do you want a child?
(6) You want to be rich?
(7) Do you want to tie your husband/wife to be
yours forever?
(8) Do you need financial assistance?
(9) Have you been scammed and you want to
recover your lost money?
If you need or want any information on love or
money spells you can get that problem solved
today at Spell Of Solution Temple...
How to have a happier marriage without waiting for your spouse to change

Destry Merritt said...

I stumbled across this post today and was very moved by your experiences. I felt your love for all of your children and gained a better understanding of many perspectives. From an outside opinion I felt your honesty and hope, so it hurt my heart for you when I read the very rude comments by others. Keep trying, keep praying and keep loving. You and your family are both blessed to have each other. And to you others who appear to be struggling with this, we don't have to understand everything to be kind. Christ advocates and Satan accuses, so we might try harder to be helpful instead of hurtful.

Dr Ogudugu Solution Temple said...

Hello,

I'm Dr Ogudugu, a real and genuine spell caster/Spiritual healer with
years of experience in spell casting and an expert in all spells, i
specialize exclusively in LOVE SPELL/GET REUNITE WITH EX LOVER, MONEY
SPELL, POWERFUL MAGIC RING, ANY COURT CASES, FRUIT OF THE WOMB, HIV CURE,
CURE FOR CANCER, SAVE CHILD BIRTH. They are all %100 Guaranteed QUICK
Results, it most work. If you have any problem and you need a real and
genuine spell caster to solve your problems, contact me now through my
personal Email Address with problem case...Note-you can also Text/Call on
WhatsApp.

Contact me -
Email: greatogudugu@gmail.com
WhatsApp No: +2348139793075

Unknown said...

Omg Calee I love you and your heart so much. I am so blessed that I am your friend and I know someone as amazing as you. I think that anyone who has the honor of knowing is one lucky person. Those little girls are so lucky to have you for a bonus mom. Wow God is good. I totally needed to read this today. Thanks for sharing love and miss you. Xoxo

Sally Gabrielle said...

My name is Sally Gabrielle  from UK, I want to quickly tell the world that there is a real online spell caster that is powerful and genuine, His name is Dr Ojogun He helped me recently to reunite my relationship with my husband who left me, When i contacted Dr Ojogun  he cast a love spell for me, and my husband who said he doesn't have anything to do with me again called me and started begging me to come back. he is back now with so much love and care. today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the powers to restore broken relationship back. because i am now happy with my husband. To anyone who is reading this article and needs any help, Dr Ojogun can also offer any type of help like, Curing of all types of Diseases, Court Cases, Pregnancy Spell, Spiritual protection and lot's more. You can contact him Via his email ojogun.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com    call or add him on whatsapp with his phone number +2348154637647    

Jason Bennett said...

Omg I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp +2347012841542

Blog Design by Get Polished