Pages



Wednesday, January 28, 2009

We're EXPECTING!

...a PUPPY, that is!!!

Haha - I just LoVe seeing post titles like that and getting all excited,
so sorry if I scared anyone :) ...cory...

Anyone who knows my mother is probably thinking that there is no way in Hades she'd allow a dog into her life/home - which has been true for several years. I, however, have found the Achilles heel to her 'I hate pets' rule: kill every rescue animal you take on. (Remember Cricket? *tear).

There are some things that need to be handled prior to actually purchasing said puppy,
but I want your opinions on what kind I should get!!
I've already narrowed my options down to to the following:
(enjoy these ridiculously cute photos coutesy of my Google Images search)

  1. Miniature English Bulldog: This adorable breed weighs only 20lbs full grown (about a third of a normal-sized bulldog!). They're playful, but enjoy sleeping & hanging out on the couch - a plus, considering that's what Cory & I enjoy doing, too. CON: They cost a pretty penny! These designer dogs range from $2000-4000! YiKes...



2. Daschund: These cute puppies come in short, wiry, or long hair varieties. Smart, energetic, and tenacious, these little guys have no idea they're not pitbulls :). Everyone in the house seems to be on-board with this breed...I like the dapple coloring best! Shout out to Birdie - the little daschund on Apple Ave :)

(dapple = grey coat with dark spots).


3. Toy Poodle: Now, I know what you're thinking...that poodles are fru-fru dogs for old ladies, right? Well that's just not true!! (I don't care WHAT you say, Dad!!) According to what I've read, poodles are one of the highest ranked breeds in intelligence and trainability. Meaning? You'll spend way less time cleaning poodle puppy poop (alliteration!) off your carpet than other breeds. You also don't HAVE to give them the silly spun-cotton/'fro haircut that seems to be popular among the elderly poodle-owners of the world. Hypoallergenic (like all the breeds listed here - well, not the bulldog :\), loyal, and pretty stinkin' cute - I like the idea of a little black fluffball being my friend!


4. Yorkshire Terrier: This is the breed that mom & I looked at last Saturday. They're SO cute! They tend to be a bit yappy, and a little ankle-biter-ish, but definitely adorable. I like that they have the spunky terrier attitude, and their size is perfect for what I'm in the market for. CONS: Cory has vowed to hate my dog forever if I get a Yorkie :(
Apparently, he has no room in his heart for a "silly, chick-dog".
Maybe he just hasn't seen the picture listed below.
I mean, honestly...



Who could hate that face?!


Alright! Now that you have all the options in front of you, let me know what you think!!
P.S. I would like to send love to spellcheck for making me laugh just now. Pitbull apparently needs to be changed to spit ball, and daschund to Desmond.
Maybe that's what I'll name my little doxie - aw..Des. Cute.






7 comments :

Erin Hoy said...

So here is my vote: I would either get a Toy Poodle (my aunt and uncle had these when I was growing up and they have super cute personalities) or a Yorkshire Terrier (I DARE Cory it hate that cute face forever :))

So I need your email... Gots me some more questions for ya bout Ashford U - you can email me at erin.hoy@sbcglobal.net. Because I REALLY need to know what kind of discounts your getting and how because when I went on their website and looked at tuition I almost peed my pants. That's what having a child will do to you!!! I really want to get my BA and I need something that is flexible... ie ONLINE :) LET ME KNOW

Also - when are you down to going to Hooters??? :)

Arica said...

OOOH birdie would LOVE a little tyke just like her! and she's grateful for the shout out. :) now i can tell you this, i have had BOTH an english bulldog (not mini), and now the dachshund (which i recommend a mini if that ends up being your choice, bird is a mini).. and to be honest the others don't really tickle my fancy.

anyway of those two, they are both totally AWESOME. so full of personality! now here are my pro's and con's..

bulldog-
pros: VERY easy to train, and will obey like NO other.
cons: tend to have a lot of health issues. they might run you even MORE money to keep their breathing in shape and what not. (our Roxy sure did).

dachshund-
pros: soo much fun to play with, they'll follow you EVERYWHERE. and they are KILLER smart. i even think bird can speak english, she's just holding off on us.
cons: they are stubborn as heck, which can also be very endearing. and she was difficult to potty train. then again, we don't have a fenced yard, which might have been our problem.

best of luck to you calee.
hopefully my ridiculously long article will help narrow your search. ha!

Nikki Nielsen said...

yorkshire terrier. hands down. thats the pup i dream of having in my purse one day. cory can be replaced if they don't get along!! haha

brookebaby said...

MY FRIEND NATALIE JUST TOLD ME TODAY HER FRIEND IS LOOKING FOR A HOME FOR A CHIHUAHUA/DOBERMAN LOOKING THING!!! you know those tiny ones that are black with the brown around the eyes and ont he belly? you would get him for free!!

Debbie said...

Hi Calee! We bought a "designer dog" almost a year ago and she is the cutest little thing EVER! I also NEVER thought I would have an "indoor" dog...but she does not shed and is sweeter than any dog I have ever seen! Zoe is a 1/2 Yorkie 1/2 Maltese....too cute! She looks more like a Yorkie. Having this mix is the best of both! Tell your family hi for me! Love you...Aunt Debbie from Idaho

Nana said...

Okay Callee - I'm cyber-stalking you. Love getting my updates on you kids!

Having been in the business of training dogs for 30 years, here is my humble opinion.

Bullies - great dog, can be aggressive with other animals - dogs, cats. Can be a problem when you go out for a walk. 2 years ago the Best in Show at Westminster was a Bullie - great dog! High energy!

Dachshunds - very nice little guys. Will eventually have back problems in their advancing years because of their long backs. Known to be snugglers, very smart.

Toy Poodle - be careful here. Make sure you buy any dog from a reliable breeder (check breed clubs for names, and you will pay less than in a pet store!) Miniature and toy poodles are the #1 bitters - partly because there are so many of them. However, they are extremely trainable, possessing a high intelligence. Very people oriented. Poodles do not shed their hair, therefore you will need to learn to do your own grooming or spend money to take your friend to the doggie salon - about every 4-6 weeks = $$$

Yorkshire Terrier - good for a small apartment. They make me nuts because they shake alot and their eyes water. Again, you will need to spend lots of time and/or money on grooming - their hair is very long and silky - thin - it matts easily.

Remember, you are looking at photos of puppies! Any breed is adorable at that age. Make sure you see the parents, the types of personalities they have, their health, no structural abnormalities, etc. - good luck!

Also the CHIHUAHUA/DOBERMAN is called a Miniature Pinscher. They are fab dogs also.
Love, Erin's Mom

Nana said...

Okay Callee - I'm cyber-stalking you. Love getting my updates on you kids!

Having been in the business of training dogs for 30 years, here is my humble opinion.

Bullies - great dog, can be aggressive with other animals - dogs, cats. Can be a problem when you go out for a walk. 2 years ago the Best in Show at Westminster was a Bullie - great dog! High energy!

Dachshunds - very nice little guys. Will eventually have back problems in their advancing years because of their long backs. Known to be snugglers, very smart.

Toy Poodle - be careful here. Make sure you buy any dog from a reliable breeder (check breed clubs for names, and you will pay less than in a pet store!) Miniature and toy poodles are the #1 bitters - partly because there are so many of them. However, they are extremely trainable, possessing a high intelligence. Very people oriented. Poodles do not shed their hair, therefore you will need to learn to do your own grooming or spend money to take your friend to the doggie salon - about every 4-6 weeks = $$$

Yorkshire Terrier - good for a small apartment. They make me nuts because they shake alot and their eyes water. Again, you will need to spend lots of time and/or money on grooming - their hair is very long and silky - thin - it matts easily.

Remember, you are looking at photos of puppies! Any breed is adorable at that age. Make sure you see the parents, the types of personalities they have, their health, no structural abnormalities, etc. - good luck!

Also the CHIHUAHUA/DOBERMAN is called a Miniature Pinscher. They are fab dogs also.
Love, Erin's Mom

Blog Design by Get Polished